Crème Brulee French Toast
Posted On June 4, 2009
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 T. corn syrup
- 1 (8 or 9 inch) round loaf of Challah bread (or other dense bakery bread)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. Grand Marnier
- ¼ t. salt
- Melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour into 9 x 13 pan.
- Cut 6 (1” thick) slices from largest part of Challah bread. (Reserve ends for another use.)
- Trim crusts.
- Arrange slices in 1 layer—squeezing to fit into pan.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover, chill for 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Bring bread to room temperature.
- Bake, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are lightly golden…30 to 40 min.
This is Jimmy’s favorite French toast. It is sweet and delicious and you will hardly need syrup with it. Serving it with sliced fruit on the side is a good idea for a special occasion breakfast.