- 3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour (To make your own self-rising flour use this equation: 1 cup flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Combine flour, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Combine water and cornstarch until cornstarch dissolves.
- Add oil and egg to water/cornstarch and beat the egg into the mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ones. It should be slightly lumpy.
- Add raw cut up chicken pieces to the mixture until well coated.
- Heat oil in skillet or wok to 360 degrees. Fry chicken pieces in hot oil until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
*You can freeze the uneaten portion and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.
Fruity sweet and sour sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Mix the first five ingredients together in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Place cornstarch in water and mix until dissolved. Stir the cornstarch paste into the juice mixture, and bring to a simmer. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
*If you don’t have enough maraschino cherry juice you can process some of the cherries in a blender with everything else and then heat it on the stove. I’ve done it both ways and they both turn out delicioso 🙂
Serve the chicken over rice with the sauce and eat with chopped steamed green peppers and pineapple chucks.