Nappa Chicken Salad
Posted On July 5, 2009
- 3 (5-ounce) skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 quarter-size slice fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium head (about 1 lb) Napa cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and cut into thin strips
- Combine the chicken, broth, water, peppercorns, and ginger slice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the chicken is nearly cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, 7 minutes more.
- Drain the chicken, reserving the liquid for another use.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred into bite-size strips.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, jalapeno pepper, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and minced ginger in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage, onion, and bell pepper and toss. Add the chicken and toss again. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 hours ahead.
2 cups of salad is 3 points