Cheese & Sausage Strata
Posted On June 4, 2009
- 1 lb. pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean, reg. flavor)
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 each salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- 6 slices white bread
- Cook sausage and drain well (can be done a day in advance).
- Beat eggs, then add milk, brown sugar, mustard, s&p, and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Butter a 9×13 pan.
- Lay bread in pan cutting into pieces to fit in to pan,if needed.
- Layer sausage, then cheese on top of bread.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over layers.
- Cover with foil. refrigerate overnight.
- Take out of fridge 20 to 30 minutes before baking preheat oven.
- Bake at 300* for 1 hour (or 45 min. At 350*) first half of time, covered, last half uncovered.
Note: this is a recipe that I have made for houseguests a lot. It’s a wonderful make-ahead recipe. It reheats well, too.