- 4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried (fresh tastes the best)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pieces or about 1 and half lbs, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 T minced fresh parsley
- 1 recipe Cream Biscuit Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Instructions for Chicken Pot Pie
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in flour. Stir in the broth, cream, and bay leaves. Simmer until mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Stir the chicken into the sauce and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and stir in the peas and parsley. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cut the biscuit dough into eight 3-inch-wide biscuits and lay over the filling.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 20 minutes before serving.
Instructions for Biscuit Dough
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until the dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball. Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds. The key is to work the dough as little as possible.
- Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Go to step 5 in the chicken pot pie instructions.